Financial Matters


At the end of life there are a multitude of financial matters that arise an family or friends are placed in the position of handing numerous financial issues. The best situation is to have financial and legal matters current so one’s wishes can be carried out when they are no longer able to make those decisions.

It is important to note that laws regarding estates, wills, trusts, and durable power of attorney can vary from state to state. It is important to contact an attorney, state official or financial representative who can provide you accurate information.

If you are serving as a legal representative of an individual who has died or is terminally ill, here are some suggestions for information you will need to pay bills, assist with settling the estate, paying taxes, or assisting an attorney or probate court.

Getting Financial Records in Order

It is important to keep a variety of documents and information up to date and in one place so they can be accessed. If you are the legal representative of an individual who can no longer live independently and are identified as the trustee of their trust, or if you are designated in a durable power of attorney as the individual to make legal decisions it is important to have the following information available:

Personal Records

  • Copy of drivers license
  • Social Security number
  • Copy of birth certificate
  • Names and contact information for add spouse, children, relatives and close friends
  • Copies of military discharge papers
  • Copies of information on contact information for pension if applicable
  • Employers and dates of employment
  • Contact information for church or spiritual representative
  • Contact information for personal attorney
  • Names and phone numbers of doctors
  • List of prescription drugs and dosage
  • Living will, trust, power of attorney documents
  • Mortgage papers
  • Listing of sources of income including contact information for these sources
  • Deed for home, car title and registration
  • Banking and investment institutions and account numbers
  • Current will or trust
  • Copy of most recent state and federal income tax filings
  • Copy of death certificate of spouse if applicable

(photo: driek)